Five expert tips for your bathroom renovation
When designing your bathroom, there are a lot of decisions to make. From choosing the room layout, the colour of the towel rails and everything in between, we’ve compiled a list to guide you through the process.
Planning and floor plan
Every great project starts with a well thought out plan. You might go through the best part of ten variations to get it right, but you’ll find later in the project it was time well spent.
When it comes to the layout of your bathroom, some key considerations should be:
- How many people use the bathroom – this will be important when it comes to choosing a vanity size as well as how many towel rails you’ll need.
- Do you need a bath? Opting for a bath or not shouldn’t only be based around if there are children in the home. If your property is in an area that is popular with families, you might find having a bath is essential for resale.
- Keep the toilet out of sight. Bathrooms can be beautiful to look at from the rest of the house when the door is left open, but no one wants to be looking at the toilet.
- Vanity placement – if it’s possible, place your vanity so that it’s visible with the door open. You’ll love having this tip up your sleeve when you have unexpected guests or a shower that has way too many untidy looking products (or the glass needs a clean!).
Fixtures and fittings
When you choose fixtures and fittings, remember that these need to be functional, but they also present the perfect opportunity to add style to the room. You’ll need to select your:
- Towel rails – consider the width of your ideal bath towels when choosing a size
- Hand towel holders
- Toilet roll holder
- Showerhead – perhaps a monsoon shower head for an element of luxe
- Tap and mixers for the bath and basin
- Shower screen – frameless glass is always a good idea
- Window coverings
Wall tiles and floor tiles
When choosing your tiles there are a lot of decisions that need to be made, and you’ll need to think about:
- Do you want your tiles to be a design statement? Or would you prefer to keep them plain to let other features shine?
- Do you want your bathroom to have a feeling of luxury? Using floor to ceiling wall tiles is a fantastic way to add a luxury element to your bathroom.
- Colour selection
- Finishing – gloss or matte
- Material, porcelain, stone, ceramic, glass
When choosing your bathroom colour scheme, we recommend keeping with neutral earthy colours for a timeless design. Use decorative items and towels to add pops of texture, pattern and colour.
Your vanity is the perfect piece to use for a design feature in your bathroom, and the options are truly endless. Depending on the theme of your home, you could consider upcycling an antique console or dresser, or you might opt for a luxurious long slimline vanity with double basins, based below an oversized frameless wall mirror. Search online for inspiration, visit bathroom showrooms and even display homes to get a range of design ideas.
Having a functional, well-designed bathroom that reflects your style is a luxury that will always be enjoyed. Whether you’re renovating your bathroom or building from scratch, invest the time into your design and selections, and you’ll reap the rewards for years to come.